Hello new user, we noticed you are not a member of our forum yet. Some topics are not visible to guest and you will be unable to receive access without logging in.
Hello new user, we noticed you are not a member of our forum yet. Some topics are not visible to guest and you will be unable to receive access without logging in.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please post any projects, you are involved in, on our Project Forum
Welcome to DragonWing Community.
Forum Administrators: Deshar, Luciole2831.
Forum Moderators: Masterswordsonicman, Red, SethEckos, Reborn574.
Please join our Forum Game.

Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?

Go down 
+3
MongMaster
Luciole2831
Deshar
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information
Level: 6
Class: Swordsman
Guild:: Masters of Conflict

Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Empty
PostSubject: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:00 am

As far as I know the only main protagonist that is a dragon is Spyro, all other dragons are either side characters, villains or random monsters.

Why arn't there more game with Dragons as protagonists?
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information
Level: 5
Class: Rogue
Guild:: None

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:36 am

Well now days gamers are mostly into shooters. I mean of course you could make a mideival game starring a dragon and give him a duck and cover system. But most people like to play games where you are a soldier.
Back to top Go down
https://freerun.forumotion.net
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:43 am

I know most games are shooters, but then there's rpgs, puzzle games, beat em ups, action games, platformers and more.

There are loads of genres and only one game (that I know of) with a dragon as the main character, and that series has been shot to hell.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:44 am

Well i would expect it is kinda hard to come up with a good story for a dragon. I mean I can't think of a way to give a dragon the spot light in the game without giving him powers like spyro.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:49 am

A dragons home and family have been torn apart by greedy humans, his family have been killed and he seeks revenge. Later on in the story he finds out that not all humans are greedy and evil and even makes a human friend, by the end of the story he is fighting a human with...Uh...A giant robot that he...Bought.

Or maybe, Demonic creatures have seized the land, no other creature is strong enough to withstand this onslaught, only the four Dragons of [insert land name here] can put an end to the slaughter and save the world.

In a land filled with Dragons, two armies of different factions set out to war. You, as the Dragon elite, are sent out onto the battlefield to bring down your foes and give your nation the victory.

Three different stories, all suited for dragons, just off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:51 am

Yea but would the gameplay really be all that good? I mean I can't really think of any attacks other then the elementals.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:56 am

Dragons have claws and teeth, in some fantasy stories they have the power to change their shape. They can also fly and run across the ground on all fours, some can stand on their hind legs and carry weapons and armor.

To be honest the games wouldn't be much different if they had human protagonists.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:57 am

Maybe but doesn't change the fact that this generation of gamers is retarded and only wants to shoot stuff
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:59 am

Use the dragons on their hind legs, give them guns, point and shoot, cutscenes at the start, randomly in the middle and at the end of each level in order to remind the players they're a dragon.

Not only could they have a shooting game, they'd have a shooting game where they could fly!
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 1:30 pm

Yea but I doubht that would really work out that well.
Back to top Go down
MongMaster
Wyvern
Wyvern
MongMaster

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:01 pm

This does bug me, as well. Maybe developers lack imagination, and can't help but follow the traditional dragon template. Y'know, evil flying lizard who only wants to hoard gold and/or capture maidens? Lame. :/

I can only think of four good game series I've played where the dragon(s) is/are the protagonist(s):
1: Spyro Trilogy - everyone knows this. (NOT the new trilogy, all that does is make me angry)
2: Dragon Spirit/Dragon Saber - a difficult vertical scrolling shooter for MegaDrive/Genesis, TurboGrafx16, Amiga and a bunch of other retro consoles. (Dragon Saber's the sequel)
3: Cyvern - a horrendously difficult obscure vertical scrolling bullet hell shooter, only released in Japanese arcades.
4: Drakan - a semi-free roam RPG. A dragon named Arokh is one of the protagonists. The original on PC was buggy, but the sequel on PS2 was seriously underrated.

Oh, yeah, and somewhere in the future, I'll hopefully finish Dragon Storm. ;)

Deshar wrote:
Use the dragons on their hind legs, give them guns, point and shoot, cutscenes at the start, randomly in the middle and at the end of each level in order to remind the players they're a dragon.
Luciole2831 wrote:
Yea but I doubht that would really work out that well.

*ahem*...

Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Grand%20Theft%20Draco

Sure, it's just a concept render, but I'd SO buy that game. :D

Last edited by MongMaster on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to mention the Drakan series in that list.)
Back to top Go down
http://mongmaster.wordpress.com/about/
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 9:16 pm

I laughed so much at that picture, I'd buy that.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 9:45 pm

I stand corrected. But that was hell of funny!
Back to top Go down
Masterswordsonicman
Masterswordsonicman

Forum Game Information
Class: Colosseum Champion

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 8:04 pm

HA, oh that's rich, I wonder who they're fighting, dinosaurs maybe?
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 2:02 pm

Welp in the bottom it said grand theft draco. So I am just guessing that every human got replaced with a dragon. Either that or Humans are now pets, or available in you're nearest grocery store.
Back to top Go down
MongMaster
Wyvern
Wyvern
MongMaster

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 4:21 pm

Luciole2831 wrote:
Either that or Humans are now pets, or available in you're nearest grocery store.

Hahahaha. :D

I never actually decided who they were fighting - maybe humans, or other dragons, or yeah, maybe there is a dinosaur in that truck they're shooting at. :D
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Willing to bet we are the cheapest of all the meats in the grocery store. Think about all that shit wrong people do to screw up there bodies. There is a chance we could give dragons all kinds of problems XD.
Back to top Go down
MongMaster
Wyvern
Wyvern
MongMaster

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 12:41 am

Haha, wow... imagine if a dragon ate the meat from a hippie or someone else who smokes weed a lot. They'd just mellow out and lay in a field watching quadruple rainbows for hours. Lmao

Dragon 1: "WHOA, duuuude... my claws... they're like... so... AWESOME..."
Dragon 2: "H-hey man... look what I can do!" *burps out some fire*
Dragon 1: "*sniff* Dude... that was beautiful... I love you, man!"
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 9:46 am

Just imagioning Dragons doing that is funny. Imagine if a Dragon ate a Pirate and started saying 'Yar' or 'Me Mateys' or singing pirate songs with the hippy Dragons. xD
Back to top Go down
Red
Red

Forum Game Information
Level: 2
Class: New Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 5:58 am

Luciole2831 wrote:
Well now days gamers are mostly into shooters. I mean of course you could make a mideival game starring a dragon and give him a duck and cover system. But most people like to play games where you are a soldier.
And this is exactly why I hate the FPS genre.

Too overrated and many people underrate some really decent games.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 10:33 am

I don't hate the FPS genre, but I do agree that it is far too over rated nowadays. I still believe that it is only a fad though, as with many other Genres that were fads in the past, wonder which Genre will be next.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Well me personally I would love for there to be a mmo fad. They actually were in the production of a halo mmorpg but it was canceled. I personally find the variety in mmo games really good since they seem like they bring out the best in a game. Atleast in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 1:40 pm

Yeah, MMO's are beginning to get more popular at an accelerated rate, but right now I can't find one I like enough to stick with. What would be interesting would be MMO type games on the games consoles.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 1:45 pm

Yea especially with the graphics and gameplay capabilities. Sad thing is that im sure most will be for the xbox so you would have to pay for the online subscription. What kind or mmo games do you like? I currently play this fast paced thirsting person shooter game called s4 league it is really sweet.,
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:23 pm

As I said, cant find one I like enough to stick with.

On the consoles it'd be alot easier, the only problem would be that they'd probably expect you to pay at regular intervals and thats just not someothing I'm prepared to do. Sure I'll pay for the game, but for me thats a one off payment so I can play the game, they'll have to find donators if they want to make money beyond that. Most free MMOs are good, the donation aspect is good because it doesn't tax a player who doesn't want to have to pay for the game at regular intervals but at the same time it gives the donators a slight advantage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next