Hello new user, we noticed you are not a member of our forum yet. Some topics are not visible to guest and you will be unable to receive access without logging in.
Hello new user, we noticed you are not a member of our forum yet. Some topics are not visible to guest and you will be unable to receive access without logging in.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please post any projects, you are involved in, on our Project Forum
Welcome to DragonWing Community.
Forum Administrators: Deshar, Luciole2831.
Forum Moderators: Masterswordsonicman, Red, SethEckos, Reborn574.
Please join our Forum Game.

Don't you hate it when...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information
Level: 6
Class: Swordsman
Guild:: Masters of Conflict

Don't you hate it when... Empty
PostSubject: Don't you hate it when...   Don't you hate it when... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 6:19 pm

When games have an aspect that relies entirely on chance? It's really annoying just to lose because some random generator decided to favour a computer over yourself, it seems cheap infact since it is the computer that is the random generator.

Don't you also hate it when there's a part of a game that relies on an automated series of events and those events cause your downfall? The worst part of that is you could have been playing really well and then the automated process kicks in and you have no control over any aspect in it and you suddenly lose.

Don't you hate it when a games gameplay is AI heavy and the AI is terrible...Or in a team game where the AI on your team is always worse then the AI on the computers team?

If you've played the Blitzball minigame on Final Fantasy 10 you may have encountered the last two problems.
Back to top Go down
MongMaster
Wyvern
Wyvern
MongMaster

PostSubject: Re: Don't you hate it when...   Don't you hate it when... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 8:53 pm

Oh, yeah, these things always irritate the hell out of me. XP Take the Blitzball example - it's ridiculously luck-based, especially if you make the computer move your players around for you. It also technically determines what will happen before you do it, because the random number generator isn't really random - it's pseudorandom. XP Found that out when I was playing it on an emulator - I saved state, some things happened, and I failed hideously. So, I reloaded state, tried again... and failed in the exact same way, thanks to the "Random" Number God. GAH. Pissed

AI is probably worse, though. I remember Unreal Tournament III had AI on the opposite team which cheated, but the AI on your team were dumb as hell. The worst games for AI are fighting games, though. Get far enough into the game or put it on a high enough difficulty level, and it becomes a Luck-Based Mission where you just hope the AI doesn't read your controller too much, or spam moves, or slightly tweak gameplay mechanics in their favour.

See [The Computer Is A Cheating Bastard] and [Luck-Based Mission], in the name of lulz. Awesome

I hate it when games, during a seemingly normal level, throw something at you which is so impossible that you have no way of winning. I was playing Patapon 3, and I was blazing through a level... but then at the very end, just before the goal, there was a tree which could heal itself so quickly, it basically negated everything I threw at it. Couldn't do enough damage, so I was forced to quit. *sigh*

Off-topic: Is it possible to change the colour of hyperlinks to be brighter? Say orange, or yellow? It's kinda difficult to see them. XP
Back to top Go down
http://mongmaster.wordpress.com/about/
Masterswordsonicman
Masterswordsonicman

Forum Game Information
Class: Colosseum Champion

PostSubject: Re: Don't you hate it when...   Don't you hate it when... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 9:08 pm

Well from what I have learned from many many many games, is that I have an incredible luck in them. But for thing in real life... not so much.

That is to say that the first two situations don't really happen to me, because I somehow always get good luck(when I'm not playing with friends)

Here's a new one, When you lose, not because your bad, but because the opponent AI gets a huge advantage. Take this in the naruto fighting games, where on hard mode, the AI doesn't get better, it just has the advantage that it can no longer flinch from your attacks, but YOU CAN FROM THEIRS.

Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Don't you hate it when...   Don't you hate it when... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 10:11 am

Basically Mongz, I played Blitzball and I scored a goal. The other team automatically got the ball, three players from my team attacked their attacker, then when they failed they swanned off and the last two players were no where to be seen. Needless to say 30 seconds after my goal the computer scored, during this period I had absolutely no contorl over the game, talk about cheap.
During the second half I scored 30 seconds into the game, I was pretty proud of myself for doing that, but no immediately after (30 seconds since it takes about 30 seconds to get from one side of the feild to the other) the computer scored again due to the bad AI on my side.
We ended in a tie but it was a tornament game so we went into extra time, the computer was given the ball to start off and 30 seconds later had scored the winning goal.
Each and every one of the computers goals were impossible to prevent, since I wasn't given any control over any of my characters while the opposing player has the ball.

This is what they call Artificial difficulty and quite frankly it's a cheap pain in the ass.

Not to mention once my attacker was caught by a defender, the defender had 11 attack and my attacker had 14 endurance, the defender reduced my endurance to 0 and stole the ball...WTF?
There have been many times when I've attacked and attacker weith a defender where my defender had 12 attack and the attacker had 11 endurance and the defender was not defeated. What kind of crap is that?

Speaking of luck based annoyances, Tidus with Jecht Shot, 20 shot that is. The goalie had 10 catch but also had super goalie. Ok, the number generated to 20, well that's bad. No matter I can score when they're both 20 and the goalie has used his luck on that number generation...The goalie caught it...How fuckin' lucky can you get!
Back to top Go down
MongMaster
Wyvern
Wyvern
MongMaster

PostSubject: Re: Don't you hate it when...   Don't you hate it when... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 2:20 pm

Yep, I get what you mean, Deshar. That kinda thing happened to me... so many times. Pissed I especially hate it when you clearly have a major advantage (for example, you have a SHT of 22, and the goalie has a CAT of 16), but then the goalie gets the random number generator to bail him out and give him an extra 50% on his CAT, making it 22-24. Ball caught, he throws it back in. DAMN IT!

But then, the opposing team miraculously gets to your goal with almost no effort because your stupid defenders (which you can't control!) are jerking off in midfield. Their striker shoots with a SHT of, say, 10, and your goalie has a CAT of 15, but the Random Number God decides to cut 40% off your goalie's CAT because it hates you, making it 10-6. They score, you throw controller at the screen. Then you need a new TV.

Thank God passing the ball wasn't so luck-based. Unless someone's in your way and gets a ridiculous bonus to whatever stat it is that handles ball interception. Pissed

Masterswordsonicman wrote:
Here's a new one, When you lose, not because your bad, but because the opponent AI gets a huge advantage. Take this in the naruto fighting games, where on hard mode, the AI doesn't get better, it just has the advantage that it can no longer flinch from your attacks, but YOU CAN FROM THEIRS.
*cries*
ARGH, that's so horrible when the AI does that. What did you say? The same kinda thing happens in other games, too, such as some Dynasty Warriors games - strong opponents have Hyper Armour, and you can't make them flinch, even with your Musou attack, making it insanely difficult to fight them properly. Plus, they often have impossibly high attack and defence, and if the conditions are right, they can even one-shot you on Chaos difficulty. They're not intelligent or skilled, they're just cheating.

Fighting game AI gets on my nerves so much. It never has a sweet spot, it's always either too stupid or too cheaty.

EDIT: Oh yeah, another game with cheating bastard AI: C&C Red Alert - the original one. You have to follow the rules of the game, but the AI can build structures in places where it isn't possible to build, train units/build when it doesn't have any money, freely summon planes it hasn't paid for from off-screen to attack you, know where you are at any given moment, and can choose to immediately send every offensive unit on the map to your position while simultaneously training even more units if you so much as POKE any of their ore trucks.

And your units WILL shoot any enemy ore trucks that enter their firing range. Pissed

Last edited by MongMaster on Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Remembered something I wanted to add.)
Back to top Go down
http://mongmaster.wordpress.com/about/
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Don't you hate it when...   Don't you hate it when... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Red Alert, such a crazy game, did you know there are professional RTS players and they can do things on those game that you wouldn't have thought possible. Simply because they play RTS' alot. Apparrently it's a job in some countries, playing RTS' infront of huge crowds of people against other professionals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't you hate it when...   Don't you hate it when... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don't you hate it when...
Page 1 of 1