Hello new user, we noticed you are not a member of our forum yet. Some topics are not visible to guest and you will be unable to receive access without logging in.
Hello new user, we noticed you are not a member of our forum yet. Some topics are not visible to guest and you will be unable to receive access without logging in.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please post any projects, you are involved in, on our Project Forum
Welcome to DragonWing Community.
Forum Administrators: Deshar, Luciole2831.
Forum Moderators: Masterswordsonicman, Red, SethEckos, Reborn574.
Please join our Forum Game.

Sega hacked? Really?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information
Level: 6
Class: Swordsman
Guild:: Masters of Conflict

Sega hacked? Really? Empty
PostSubject: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 12:52 pm

I was on the train this morning and there was a newspaper on the seat, so I figured I'd read it. One article did catch my attention.
We all know Sonys network was hacked and valuable information stolen, but this article spoke of someone hacking Segas network, most of you are probably thinking 'Sega has a network?'. Well sort of, you remember the Dreamcast, that was apparently the network that was hacked. Some people urged Sega to let them help catch the hackers, because they loved the Dreamcast system. Weird thing though, the people that offered to help were hackers who'd hacked Nintendos network. They first had to deny any alligations that they hacked Sega before saying they wanted to help catch the real culprits, but the whole situation does sound very odd.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information
Level: 5
Class: Rogue
Guild:: None

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 12:56 pm

Well if they really are the hackers. They might just want access to there information by bluffing and saying they need to see the file that was hacked first. Then the plan goes on.
Back to top Go down
https://freerun.forumotion.net
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 1:11 pm

I doubt a hacker would stick around after hacking someone then pretend to be on the the hackies side to cover their tracks. They'd dissappear, never to be heard from again untill their next hacking.
Back to top Go down
MongMaster
Wyvern
Wyvern
MongMaster

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:37 pm

Who in their right mind would bother hacking the Dreamcast network...? Wait... SegaNet was discontinued in 2001, and Dreamarena was shut down in 2003. It's impossible to hack a network that doesn't exist... okay, I'm confused. :P

Ehh, whatever... I'm not really that bothered, it's not as if I like Sega anymore. Serves them right for bringing the hammer down on Streets of Rage Remake V5 a week after it was released instead of, say, eight years ago when they started working on it. Sega were probably just butthurt cuz it's greater than anything they could make nowadays. But I digress. :P

There HAS been a weird amount of hacking going on recently, though. First it was Sony, then I heard Codemasters was hacked, and now Sega. SOCA was attacked recently as well. Is this like, the Year of the Hacker or something? :P
Back to top Go down
http://mongmaster.wordpress.com/about/
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Sounds like it, you missed that even Nintendo was hacked, but apparently that one wasn't serious. Just someones idea of a prank or something.

Maybe they brought the network back up or something, Dreamcast is easy to make games for apparently and I don't think there's a lockout chip on it...Which is weird.
Back to top Go down
MongMaster
Wyvern
Wyvern
MongMaster

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 9:58 pm

Yeah, I missed the news about Nintendo being hacked. It's crazy - I wouldn't expect this to happen to big companies like these, I thought they'd have ample protection already. :S

Suppose you can't really protect against everything.
Back to top Go down
Red
Red

Forum Game Information
Level: 2
Class: New Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 6:04 am

And hacking Nintendo for whatever reason is a complete waste of time.

I don't see the benefits.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 10:36 am

Apparently it was just a prank, nothing serious. So I guess it just never got much press.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 1:37 pm

Probably, i'm not even sure why you would wanna waste your time doing it unless your being payer.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 1:42 pm

being payer? What's that?
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Oooops typo I meant being payer. Sorry I am doing this from my phone which suprizingly I can get on the chat too.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:30 pm

Again you typed Payer.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Damit it must be the dam spell check on here. Payed it what I wanted to say.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:45 pm

I see, but why would someone pay them to do it? Unless they're being payed to pay them...But then they'd have to be payed to pay them to pay them...There has to be a reason at some point.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Maybe another company got leaked news of a game they were making and thought it would take buisness away from a game they are making so they payed somebody to mess with it therefore delaying the release of sega's game.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 3:03 pm

Or maybe they hacked it just to show they could.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 3:20 pm

That is also a possibility.
Back to top Go down
MongMaster
Wyvern
Wyvern
MongMaster

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Some groups do it for the hell of it, and possibly to send a message. Lulz Security is one - they've been all over the place. They might've been the ones who hacked Sega's network, I'm not sure. But honestly, I kinda like groups like that. They (inadvertently or not) show everyone that sites you THINK are adequately protected actually aren't, without doing too much damage in the process. Usually causes them to step up their defences.

Hackers like those who attacked Sony take it WAY too far, though. They should just steal some relatively unimportant data and share it. Let them know their defences suck. They shouldn't take it out on the company's customers.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 8:31 pm

No security is really air tight, just because someone was able to hack it doesn't make it shit protection, just means it wasn't unhackable.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 1:44 am

Well the guys who attack sony said they did it because ain't made it illegal to homebrew your ps3 so they thought it was unfair because really your just getting the full potential out of what you Payed for but since sony saw it different they decided to take action.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:02 am

Stealing the personal information from the servers is illegal.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:24 am

No. Home brewing it is different its basically allowing the ps3 to play texture hacks like you would in brawl for the wii it also let you play much older games such as from the n64 so all people were doing was just unlocking the full potential of the ps3. Which is why the group of hackers said they will not hack the network again because thy don't wish to cause harm to the gamers
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 am

Huh? Didn't the people who hacked Sony, steal a bunch of personal data?
Back to top Go down
MongMaster
Wyvern
Wyvern
MongMaster

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Deshar wrote:
No security is really air tight, just because someone was able to hack it doesn't make it shit protection, just means it wasn't unhackable.
You can't protect against every hack, sure, I appreciate that. But say if you submitted personal information to Sega, you'd want it to be secure just in case someone DID get in, right? I definitely would.

I'm not an expert on encryption, but I know that if Sega stored information with standard 128-bit encryption, there isn't a machine around which could crack it within a reasonable amount of time. Well, unless they did some magic cyber-voodoo attack and exploited weaknesses in the encryption algorithm or something. Or had the key. :P

Luciole2831 wrote:
Well the guys who attack sony said they did it because ain't made it illegal to homebrew your ps3 so they thought it was unfair because really your just getting the full potential out of what you Payed for but since sony saw it different they decided to take action.
Deshar wrote:
Stealing the personal information from the servers is illegal.
Luciole2831 wrote:
No. Home brewing it is different its basically allowing the ps3 to play texture hacks like you would in brawl for the wii it also let you play much older games such as from the n64 so all people were doing was just unlocking the full potential of the ps3. Which is why the group of hackers said they will not hack the network again because thy don't wish to cause harm to the gamers
I might just be reading them wrong, but I'm having a hard time understanding your posts, Luciole. :S Sony's servers were hacked, and a ton of information was stolen. Modding a console to run homebrew is completely different, and nowhere near as illegal. :S
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 4:46 pm

Well the hackers actually posted a videos on youtube as to why they hacked the pan. And they explained it was a bad idea because it caused harm to the gamers which really they wanted to teach them a lesson for making it against the rules to homebrew it. You can google them by typing something like anonymous hacking group.

Edit: yea I know its illegal but they called it justice for some reason Banned
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sega hacked? Really?   Sega hacked? Really? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sega hacked? Really?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Discussion :: Other-
Jump to: