Hello new user, we noticed you are not a member of our forum yet. Some topics are not visible to guest and you will be unable to receive access without logging in.
Hello new user, we noticed you are not a member of our forum yet. Some topics are not visible to guest and you will be unable to receive access without logging in.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please post any projects, you are involved in, on our Project Forum
Welcome to DragonWing Community.
Forum Administrators: Deshar, Luciole2831.
Forum Moderators: Masterswordsonicman, Red, SethEckos, Reborn574.
Please join our Forum Game.

Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?

Go down 
+3
MongMaster
Luciole2831
Deshar
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information
Level: 5
Class: Rogue
Guild:: None

Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:30 pm

Its not really much of a problem to me that they get a special item since they are helping to keep the servers up and running. Plus with the shooter games unless they are always coming after you then I am fine with it.
Back to top Go down
https://freerun.forumotion.net
MongMaster
Wyvern
Wyvern
MongMaster

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:42 pm

Red wrote:
Luciole2831 wrote:
Well now days gamers are mostly into shooters. I mean of course you could make a mideival game starring a dragon and give him a duck and cover system. But most people like to play games where you are a soldier.
And this is exactly why I hate the FPS genre.

Too overrated and many people underrate some really decent games.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I don't hate FPSs though. They're just never different or interesting, and people seem to have really low standards when it comes to them nowadays. Take Call of Duty - it's barely changed, and it's gameplay is tired, but it's played by millions. I'm glad Bulletstorm came along - that was the best shooter I've played in ages, because it felt unique and fun. Awesome

Deshar wrote:
Yeah, MMO's are beginning to get more popular at an accelerated rate, but right now I can't find one I like enough to stick with. What would be interesting would be MMO type games on the games consoles.

MMO's belong on PC, methinks. Mainly because of the control system - there aren't enough buttons on an Xbox or PS3 controller. That is, unless someone makes an MMO which doesn't use an action bar for once.

But I've never been a fan of MMOs myself. I love the concept of being in a persistent world with thousands of others I can run into and band together with, but in my opinion, once you've played one, you've basically played them all. I played World of Warcraft to max level, and it was an interesting journey to get there. But once I was there, it was like looking at Steam's store page when they've got a sale on. Quite a lot on offer, but nothing you want. :P I very quickly cancelled my subscription.

I found Global Agenda quite enjoyable for a while, but that quickly got repetitive, and had a "Buy Your Way To Victory" mechanic, which risked making it totally unbalanced. And in my eyes, it's not really an MMO - it's a shooter where the server hosts all the games instead of the clients. :P

Whoops, that was a bit long. :P
Back to top Go down
http://mongmaster.wordpress.com/about/
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information
Level: 6
Class: Swordsman
Guild:: Masters of Conflict

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:58 pm

It'll probably never happen, but I'd like to see an MMO like The World from .Hack. Especially if the gameplay was similar to some of the .Hack games, it would be new and exciting, one other things they could have is minigames like the Crimson Vs...If Final Fantasy Minigames were introduced into MMos that would be cool too, like Triple Traid of FF8 or the motorcycle minigame of FF7, they'd make an interesting diversity.

Also, Mongz, your talking about MMORPGS and yes I'm sort of speaking of the same thing but, there are loads of different kinds of MMO, like Tailsrunner, a running race MMO that's sort of a platformer. Games consoles now have the internet well integrated, MMOs on them is just a matter of time.

Actually I think there might be one or two MMOs on them already but don't quote me on that.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 3:09 pm

There is a few MMO's on 360 1 I know of is I believe they released a final fantasy mmo on it before. Mostly the reason I saw MMO's is because they have something to do after you reach the highest level, you can still pvp or hang with other players and still roam areas you never been to before. And Deshar after a while back through a bit of researching there actually is a .Hack mmo being made which is officially named .Hack//THE WORLD being developed by Cyber connects. There is a 2d version which is playable right now and a 3d version still in development.
Back to top Go down
MongMaster
Wyvern
Wyvern
MongMaster

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 3:32 pm

Dangit... yep, just noticed I fell into that trap - I drifted into constantly thinking about the "generic" MMO, an MMORPG. :P So let me amend my previous statement: MMORPGs belong on PC, methinks. Other types of MMO could work quite well on a console. Awesome

Console MMOs would be good for those who haven't got a high enough spec PC (or a PC at all), I suppose, but trying to fill that hole in the market is seriously risky. PCs can also run things like Ventrilo which MMO gamers use (and is MUCH better than the horrible voice chat you get on consoles (or on the Xbox at least)), and it's easier to get on forums and such, not to mention that some people don't like speaking over VoIP to random people and would prefer to use a keyboard to communicate. (like me Awesome)

I just don't think there's a market for it on consoles yet (definitely not Xbox, if you have to pay for Xbox Live AND the game's subscription fee as well), until something REALLY good comes along and smashes the floodgates open. The way games have been going recently, though, that could take a while. :P
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 8:29 pm

.Hack//The World? Sounds epic, I wanna play it. :)

I agree that from a game standpoint, consoles have a way to go before their games can become fully MMO capable, however from a hardware standpoint ie the consoles themselves, they're already fully capable. Consoles are alot more internet capable now and I'm sure the next generation will expand on this. I'm gonna use the WiiU as a rolemodel here, yes it looks gimiky at first, but the ability to chat with each other being built into the controllers, not having to have everything on the screen (ie the afore mentioned action bar) and instead having some aspects on the controller, touch screen to use this controller like a menu/status/pause/inventory/action screen; are very MMO friendly things and would compliment an MMORPG well (As well as RPG's).
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 1:54 am

Yes it would not to mention that microsoft and sony have yet to unveil a new console. They will also try to take things to a whole new level past the wiiU.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:04 am

I think WiiU might just be an expansion on the Wii and should probably be considered same generation, but time will tell.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:20 am

Well when they were showing it appeared to be much more advance and also trying to take a step up by allowing some of the top franchise games to be played on it.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:35 am

They're trying to bring hardcore gamers onto the system without losing their casual audience, a difficult thing to do.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 5:01 pm

I think they can pull it off considering they have tons of money being the number 1 gaming console which outsold ps3. And 360. Not to mention they are still going to be keeping alot of the little kid games adding that with those motion sensing weight losing games also bringing in some of the better franchise games.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:31 pm

We'll see, and WiiU needs it's own topic since we're way off topic here.
Back to top Go down
ndv123
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 11:19 pm

well on mcanime fourms, i kicked, but my idea and proyect its, a stealth game, protagonized by a dragon, thern you are a beast and you are hunted, you got fire, claws and fangs, but you enemies are got, machine guns, missiles, shotguns, etc. its my proyect and the name is feral survival action valdemir. it a awsome history. o post it, if you like it. sorry i not prety good in english. jeje.

i mentalized an planing the gamepaly fot years, it my dream.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 11:25 pm

Sounds cool, post it up in the projects section and I'll have a look at it.
Back to top Go down
ndv123
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 5:17 pm

ok.but really there so few dragon protagonists, why? they have a great potential. dont you think?
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Yeah they have huge potential, even more then human characters since they live over a thousand years.
Back to top Go down
Alt_0223
Wyvern
Wyvern
Alt_0223

Forum Game Information
Guild:: Masters Of Conflict

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 6:02 pm

Which thus means cool sequels as well, and the sequels can even probably end up being hundreds of years later, in a completely different environment.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 6:41 pm

I don't know why game makers haven't done this sort of thing already, they can make tons of sequels and no one would wonder why the main character has barely aged.
Back to top Go down
Luciole2831
Admin
Admin
Luciole2831

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Lol because not alot of people like dragon games. You know how many shitty anime games are out there? You can better connect with your character if he looks similar to you.
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:21 pm

I disagree, I believe a similarity between the gamers personality and the characters personality is the way you better connect with characters. Not to mention there are pleanty of games that use monsters of many kinds that people like to play so I don't think looking human comes into it.
Back to top Go down
ndv123
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 10:00 pm

and its a good challenge, put a protagonic dragon in a game. i think it a hack and slash. like GOW but much like a ashura wairth. i think to complish this goal it got a crazy imagination. Lmao just imegine it.
Back to top Go down
ndv123
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Luciole2831 wrote:
Lol because not alot of people like dragon games. You know how many shitty anime games are out there? You can better connect with your character if he looks similar to you.

i know, the japanese shit you thaking about, but imagine a thing very cool, how could that be?, i wonder know it.
and the japanese are in crisis,
now the games are much FPS like Call of duty, battlefield, and othes, but what hapent whit doom, quake,?

the mayority playes play call of duty, think the all other games are shit, it not fair.
ans this COD its the "perfect game". ONLY IN MULTIPLAYER.

but somthing revolucionary whit dragons, whith action and epicness. i figth to made somthing like that.

dreams is free. Nice
Back to top Go down
ndv123
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 10:11 pm

Deshar wrote:
I disagree, I believe a similarity between the gamers personality and the characters personality is the way you better connect with characters. Not to mention there are pleanty of games that use monsters of many kinds that people like to play so I don't think looking human comes into it.

in mutiplayer game unfortunaly that, no matters DX

but its a BASIC PILAR IN MANY ACTION GAMES :-)
Back to top Go down
MongMaster
Wyvern
Wyvern
MongMaster

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 1:27 am

Deshar wrote:
Yeah they have huge potential, even more then human characters since they live over a thousand years.

I agree, but what I love about them and what I think gives them the most potential is their sheer versatility - there's no right or wrong, all you need is some imagination. Awesome A dragon could be small, or a massive planet-eater. They could live for just a few years, or a thousand, or a billion. They could have the ability to stand upright, or not. They could be completely stupid, or super-intelligent. And so it goes on. Awesome

Luciole2831 wrote:
Lol because not alot of people like dragon games.

I'll always give a dragon game a chance, but I never expect anything amazing. It's just that they seem to have a bad reputation - there aren't many of them, and at least half of them are rubbish. Eg: Drakengard, Lair, Legend of Spyro... just to name a few. :P

Luciole2831 wrote:
You know how many shitty anime games are out there? You can better connect with your character if he looks similar to you.

Oh, no. If an game has a non-human option in character creation/selection, unless it has some ridiculous racial trait like "randomly experiences fatal nosebleeds", I'll almost always go for it. For example, in Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, I always played as an Argonian. In Soul Calibur, I went straight for Lizardman, and ended up staying there. They're just cool. Awesome

One exception is Blanka from Street Fighter. Can't damn play as him to save my life. :P

ndv123 wrote:
and its a good challenge, put a protagonic dragon in a game. i think it a hack and slash. like GOW but much like a ashura wairth. i think to complish this goal it got a crazy imagination.

My thoughts exactly. :D I don't understand why devs don't think of things like this. Maybe it's just not feasible, although I don't see why. Or, like I said in a previous post, maybe game developers lack imagination. Massive shame, really. :(

ndv123 wrote:
the mayority playes play call of duty, think the all other games are shit, it not fair.
ans this COD its the "perfect game". ONLY IN MULTIPLAYER.

but somthing revolucionary whit dragons, whith action and epicness. i figth to made somthing like that.

Urgh. I know someone like that, someone who plays Call of Duty endlessly, thinks it's perfect. If it doesn't involve shooting or isn't realistic, he's not interested. Sure, it's what he likes, but it just irritates me. :P

I've also got a game project lined up involving dragons - I might post more about it, but I don't really tend to post stuff that I'm not working on right now. Sure, it probably won't have revolutionary gameplay, and it probably won't be done for a long time, but I'll sure as hell aim to make it action-packed and epic. Awesome

...Ah. Sorry. This is why I don't often "do" forums - I end up replying to almost everything and writing an essay which might get some "TL;DR"s. Oh well. :P
Back to top Go down
Deshar
Admin
Admin
Deshar

Forum Game Information

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 5:09 pm

It's fine Mongz, I like reading through what people think of other peoples statements when on forums, it's actually what they're for.

Not to mention you haven't been posting much lately so your reply was bound to be pretty big.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?   Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why are there so few Dragon Protagonists in games?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2